October 30, 2010

Get the Look - Dia de los Muertos - Day of the Dead Sugar Skull Makeup Tutorial

Updated 03/05/2011 & 03/06/2011


This is strictly my own personal opinion about the matter. All material uncovered was done through a public google internet search with a few different keyword entries.

Due to information uncovered and revealed about this company, I cannot in good conscience or good faith recommend anyone support this reportedly handmade, organic small business. If information had been disclosed prior to discovery by the shop owner herself, I would have no problem with continuing to purchase. Regretfully, the scope of the lie and how many different people it could have potentially affected and hurt leaves me no other choice than to say this is not an honest company to do business with.

For information as to why, you can read more below:


http://the-eyes-have-it-all.blogspot.com/2011/03/this-way-that-way-which-way-whats-going.html
http://the-eyes-have-it-all.blogspot.com/2011/03/long-tale-of-orglamix-organic-ending.html


Or click here for more links and topics. The information can be found just below the introduction paragraph on the page.

**********************************************************



Happy almost Halloween! Tis the Eve of All Hallows Eve, if you want to get technical about it!


This is my favorite time of year- the pumpkins, apple cider, donuts, pies and crisps, crisp fall wind, brightly colored leaves... And little ghouls and goblins running around from door to door Trick-or-Treating for free candy! To me, Autumn can't possibly get any better than this!



This look intimidated me. The first time I attempted it, I hated it. My problem was I didn't have a fine enough brush to do the detail work. So, I waited until I did. This time around- I am in LOVE with this look. Many thanks goes out to Brandalyn who originally requested this look through my facebook page. I did a little research, and boy did I turn up some amazing artists who create sugar skulls. And of course- I found some people who threw on some white face paint, blacked out their eyes nose, and drew on a mouth... And called it  a sugar skull. Uhhh, no. I don't think so. Not quite.


My biggest inspiration for doing this look was Sylvia Ji. She's an absolutely amazing artist, and the illustrations she creates- many of them I wish I could wallpaper my walls with. I know that's a little creepy- but, I'm not exactly normal. It fits. I may just get some prints soon and hang those in various locations.


Anyways, first I'll give you the cosmetics list of everything that's on my face:

Nivea Soft moisturizing cream.
Professional Cream Makeup in white- I started out with the smudge proof one, then changed to the plain one. (you get what you pay for, and I don't like this stuff... Either of them)
E.L.F. High Definition Powder
Wet 'N Wild Kohl Eyeliner in Black
E.L.F. Black Cream Eyeshadow- Licorice duo
Orglamix Mineral Eye Shadow in Midnight
Wet 'N Wild Gel Eyeliner in Black
Moi Minerals Mineral Eye Shadows in Dark Amethyst, Rockstar Red, True Gold and Dark Emerald
Wet 'N Wild Glitter Eyeliner in Silver


That's it. And while it doesn't seem like a long list- the thing that's "difficult" is the amount of time it takes to draw this face. Make SURE you set aside at the bare minimum an hour to do your face. The more detail, the more time it will take. Total for me was just under 3 hours. I'm a nitpicker. And I had to remove the cream makeup from my face TWICE before I could start- because the no-smudge stuff I told you to use sucked. I'm not a fan of having a pale face, with splotches, streaks and some areas caked on heavier than others. But finally, after some profanity laced fits... My face was white.

The rest of the video shows how to draw your skull face. Be creative- there are literally a million different ways the Sugar Skull designs can come out- the possibilities are limitless. You can use more color, you can use less, you can get very detailed with design, or keep it quick and simple.







I hope you all enjoy this tutorial and can't wait to see pictures of Halloween Costumes! And if you'd like to donate some Reeses PB Cups to my Trick-or-Treat fund, I'd be eternally grateful. I can't walk- so I can't go collect free candy!!!

Creepies and laughs always, xoxox ~*SP


No comments:

Post a Comment