August 16, 2010

DIY - Easy Sugar Scrub for Face and Body

I don't know about you gals, but I'm always looking for natural, homeopathic ways to take care of my skin. Before discovering mineral makeup over the last year, I admit- I used a lot of the big brand commercial name cosmetics. My problem has always been that my skin is so super-sensitive that no matter how often or little I used the makeup, my skin would always break out or become red and irritated. That would, inevitably, lead to me applying and layering more and more makeup on my face. Looking back on some pictures- I look like a mannequin. Seriously! It's not that I don't appreciate those store-front dolls that always grace us with the latest, and sometimes not so greatest, in the season's fashions... But... I'm not all about looking like one of those plastic dolls either.

Photo by Andres Rueda
Hence it led me to seek out some DIY facial remedies. I still swear by Witch Hazel for relieving redness and being a natural toner for my face- especially through a (now rare) breakout bout. But as we all know, sometimes we want a little more.... As in super soft, supple and touchable skin. Irresistible.

To exfoliate and bring out some of that softness, what you need can easily be found in your kitchen. Citrus fruits and essential oils are also readily found. What are we creating?

Photo by kaibara87
Basic Sugar Scrub

1/2 cup White Sugar (you can use Raw Sugar for a coarser scrub, or mix a Tablespoon into the White Sugar)
Olive, Corn, or Sunflower Oil- just enough to dampen sugar
A few drops of essential oil in your favorite scent- e.g., Lavender, Vanilla, Lemon, Rose, Almond, etc.
OR Fresh Citrus Fruit Zest- Lemon, Lime, Orange, Kumquat

Mix all ingredients together in a bowl or Mason Jar, adding just enough of the Oil to make the mixture damp. Massage the mixture gently onto your face and/or body to exfoliate. Add a little of your favorite face cleanser/body wash, suds it up a bit, and then rinse off with lukewarm water. Pat your face/body dry with a soft towel. You should feel quite invigorated- and your skin should be exceptionally soft!
Personally, I like to keep the moisture in my face... And my own personal secret these years has been none other than Johnson & Johnson's Baby Lotion. You know, that lotion newborn babies are smothered in after they're bathed, that makes them smell so good and snuggable? Yes- that's what I use on my face, and body. Don't get me wrong- I have an extensive collection of Bath & Body Works lotions, potions, body washes, and lots of other things. They do work wonderfully, when I feel like slathering on some of their awesome body creams, or spritzing myself with one of their deliciously scented perfumes. But- I love my Baby Lotion. My face does too. Tried and tested- I've found it's the best one for my face, especially since making the switch from regular makeup to 100% mineral.

Photo by TaniaSaiz

While your at it with the facial scrub- you can also exfoliate your lips as well. Don't use the sugar scrub though- more often than not, the skin on your lips is too sensitive to have the abrasive sugar rubbed on. Instead, take a drop of Olive Oil and massage lightly into your lips. Once you've gone through and rinsed your face from the Scrub, take your toothbrush (or an older, softer one) and lightly "brush" your lips with the bristles. This will lightly exfoliate your pucker and remove any loose skin that may be hanging around. If you have extremely chapped lips (like mine get in winter), before bedtime apply a drop or two of Olive Oil to your lips before you sleep. When you wake in the morning, you should have a happy, supple mouth.

Sometimes, chafed lips happen and oh how painful! In this case, I get a bit more drastic, especially if the chafing goes past the lip lines, or into the corner of the mouth. *OUCH!* I apply a touch of Bacitracin Ointment to my lips, and typically after about two days- they're 100% healed up. Just remember- no smooching anyone with it on- it tastes absolutely horrible! A little missing out on some kissing is a small price to pay for a soft, healed pout!

No comments:

Post a Comment